Thursday, February 2, 2017

Reading Log #3: 3 Sources

For my project, I am answering the question how does being a vegetarian affect me physically, mentally, and emotionally? With that, I have come across a variety of sources that tell me that being a vegetarian will affect me in a positive way.

When researching how being a vegetarian affects me physically, I found a TED Talk given by Mark Bittman; a bestselling cookbook author, journalist, and TV personality. He isn’t the most credible source but he is a journalist, which makes him a powerful researcher. This TED Talk was given in 2007, when people were first starting to realize they needed to change their diets. In his presentation, Bittman went through the history of how food changed and became what it is today: TV dinners and chain restaurants. He says the food everyday Americans consume is unhealthy for their diets and they need to change. He hit a few key points. In America, diabetes, strokes, and cancer are more common than in any other country. This being a direct result of eating meat. Although meat has protein, it is not the only source and it isn't necessary for our diet. Instead, people should try eating green foods and five servings of fruits and vegetables every day. 

I found this source to be helpful and beneficial because it was a speech given to the public in a way that society can understand. Other sources hit these issues but didn't hit the main point as quickly as Bittman did. Although this isn't the only source I am using to talk about the physical health issues in my immersion project, it definitely helped me get a better understanding of how food has evolved in the past century. It also gave me more insight to the topics that I should research to answer my question. 

Turning to the mental side of being vegetarian, I found many sources relating to this topic. One in particular, which, led a academic study was on HuffingtonPost.com called "Vegetarian Diet for a Better Mood?" by Riley Rearden, who is a Nutrition Counselor and Wellness and Motivational Coach. Her article had a link to the BioMed Central Nutrition Journal. Bonnie L Beezhold and Carol S Johnson, both working the Nutrition departments at Benedictine University and Arizona State University. This article focused on three s=aicds: EPA, DHA, and AA, a.k.a., omega-3 fatty acids. They all reside in meats, poultry, and fish and they each effect human brains. Their study had three different groups: the omnivores, pedestrians, and the vegetarians. At the end of the for four weeks. The groups then has to take a stress and anxiety test at the end of the trial. Their conclusions were that the two groups', who ate fish, poultry, and meat, moods were unaffected, while the vegetarians' moods significantly improved.

This source is helpful for me because it gave me the exact information I needed to support that going vegetarian is a good idea. Because every source in the two articles are credible, it makes my argument stronger. The information was also written in a way where the everyday researcher understands what they are reading instead of giving an overwhelming amount of scientific facts. 

The last source is the best one I have to explain the emotional aspects of being a vegetarian. IN the databases on Ball State University's website, I was able to come across a graph that showed the anxeity and depression levels of those omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans. 


This graph by Bonnie Beezhold, in the aforementioned study, Cynthia Radnitz, Amy Rinnie, and Julie Dimatteo, shows the depression, anxiety, and stress levels for the three main types of eaters. Although vegans have the best moods, vegetarians' anxiety and stress levels are better than omnivores'. This shows that because their moods are improved, they are probably better off emotionally. 

I like this source because it gives the reader a visual instead of me just going on about fatty acids and mental illness. This physically shows the reader what is going on and it's helpful a scientific analysis. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment